Saturday, September 10, 2011

Preschooler

Aaron is just 12 days shy of three years old, and we're really noticing he's a preschooler now.  He's got opinions, man-oh-man. 

Seventy percent of the time, he is so proud to be a "big boy." I don't think I could count the number of times in a day that he says, "I'll do it myself" or "No, mama, I can do it."  This morning, he put on his own shorts and shoes for the first time ever - because he wanted to go for a bike ride, of course. I can't tell you my absolute shock when he came around the corner and said, "Look, mama, I did it all by myself."  The other 30 percent of the time, he's still figuring out his way through new sister, new house, new school - which means lots of cuddles and reassurance.

He's language is really coming along, too.  He likes to experiment with new words, and sometimes I can't believe what comes out of his mouth.  He's always curious if things are "waterproof."  (Translation: Can I take them in the bath tub?)  There are times he makes connections that thrill him.  At the pool last week, the adults were going off the diving board while the kids sat on the side of the pool.  Everyone had been jumping off, but when it came to Paul's turn, he dove.  Aaron exclaimed, "That's why they call it a diving board!"  He's also very excited about leaving his muddy shoes in the mud room at the new house "because that's what a mud room is for."  While all of these discoveries are exciting for him, I think they're more exciting for me.  What a complete privilege it is to watch a little boy grow up.

No comments: