Monday, November 14, 2011

Catching up

A new friend's blog has inspired me to get back on the wagon tonight.  I'm sitting on the couch typing away as both kids sleep upstairs.  It's thundering outside - in November!  Aaron has been asleep for less than ten minutes, although he stayed in his room listening to Winnie-the-Pooh on CD for the past hour, so I'll take it. *

Poor little Hannah has been missing her morning naps when we're out and about, and it makes her so over-tired.  She's been asleep since about 5:30 p.m. and I have to wake her up for PJs, but I can't bring myself to do it just yet.  Even though I'm probably going to pay for this when she's wide awake at 4 a.m.

These days of young children are so precious and exhausting all at the same time.  I want to freeze them just the way they are and remember all of their little habits and gestures. And at the same time, there are days I'd like to get in the car and head west for a few weeks all by myself.

But to see them laugh together, to see Aaron look out for his little sister (Mama, Hannah needs a bite of cookie too!), and to notice her little head always cocked to the left in the car so that she can see her big brother - it's blissful.  (Despite the occasionally screaming matches.)  And it's just the start.

*So he's not sleeping yet,  because mid-post he came out of his room and asked to go potty.  But at least he's staying in there.  It's not perfect, but I'll take it.  Maybe falling asleep to Winnie-the-Pooh is not the best idea.  But now, how to break the habit?

No comments: