Thursday, August 7, 2008

Free at last!


If you've known me for a while, you know that I used to help reinvestigate and write about criminal cases of people who were wrongly convicted. At Northwestern, I worked on the Aaron Patterson case. (He was released in 2003.) And when I moved back to Michigan, I worked with friend and fellow journalist Katie Merx on helping a woman named Kylleen Hargrave-Thomas, who was wrongly convicted of murder.

Well, I got some AMAZING news yesterday. Gov. Jennifer Granholm is (finally!) commuting Kylleen's sentence. Several years ago, I had the amazing experience of seeing Kylleen release from prison in 2002 after a U.S. District Judge Paul Gadola ordered that she deserved a new trial. But a higher appeals court overruled his decision and sent her back to prison.

You'll never meet a more gracious person that Kylleen. Here's wishing her and her family many years of peace and happiness together.

No comments: