Friday, November 14, 2008

Fuss budgetry - for a reason


When Aaron is crabby, Paul and I have taken to calling him a fuss budget. It's our affectionate term for when he's making those cranky, complaining noises that aren't quite crying. Well this morning, Aaron is the biggest fuss budget that he's ever been. Those cranky, complaining noises are an improvement over the full out wailing that overcomes him every hour or so.

We're huge proponents of the five "S"s (swaddle, suck, side, swing, shush) - and they always seem to work for A. But this morning, I've been 5 "S"ing the heck of our him without much success. I was totally perplexed.

I finally got Aaron to settle down enough to eat, and immediately after he spit up all over my shirt - well, Paul's shirt that I'm wearing (sorry, babe) - sour breast milk and green boogers. And then I knew - I think little A has his first cold.

The only thing that makes him happy is being held, so I busted out the Ergo carrier started singing softly to him. Now we sit swaying in front of the computer (where we headed to hear the real words of "Puff The Magic Dragon" so I wouldn't have to make them up) listening to Peter, Paul and Mary's Greatest Hits. I hate to move and disturb him, so the album is on repeat..."Don't think twice, it's alright."

1 comment:

Dave said...

I think I know what's wrong with Aaron, and it's not a common cold: he has an acute case of rock-itis. Babies (and anyone, for that matter) can develop this condition when they don't receive sufficient quantities of vitamins R and B. Symptoms in infants can include air guitar hand movements (watch carefully for these), utterances like "ow!" and "good gosh!" (which can often be mistaken for sneezing in infants) and general nervous agitation. If caught early enough, rock-itis can be treated with exposure to James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Chuck Berry or the like. Advanced cases require more aggressive treatment, such as headphone administration of The Who's "Live at Leeds," Santana's "Abraxas" or Jimi Hendrix's "Are You Experienced."

I myself have suffered many bouts of rock-itis, and I'm something of an expert on the subject. If Aaron presents with any of the above-mentioned symptoms, please don't hesitate to contact me to discuss advanced and alternative therapies.

And whatever you do - do not expose Aaron to any more Peter, Paul and Mary. That will only deplete his precious R and B vitamin reserves. Good luck!